Yield: 12 cocktail servings
* 2 dozen chicken wings, about 3 1/4 pounds, rinsed and patted dry
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* Olive oil
* 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted in a skillet over medium heat
until lightly browned
* Leaves from 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
* 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
* 1 cup grapefruit juice
* 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
* 1/4 cup ketchup
* 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 1 fresh, hot red chile, halved
* 5 garlic cloves, halved
* 2-inch piece fresh ginger, smashed with the side of a large knife
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Season the chicken wings with salt and pepper and drizzle a little
olive oil on them to prevent sticking. Lay the wings in a single layer
on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until the skin gets crispy
and the wings are cooked through.
Meanwhile, combine the teriyaki sauce ingredients in a large saucepan.
Simmer over low heat and reduce until slightly thickened. Pour the
sauce into a large bowl. Dump the wings into the bowl and toss to coat
them with the sauce. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with
the sesame seeds and cilantro. Serve hot.