Yield: 6 servings
* 2 quarts peanut oil
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus 2 cups for dredging
* 2 pounds large prawns, shelled and deveined, with tail attached
* 4 egg yolks
* 4 cups chilled soda water
* 2 tablespoons shaved garlic
* 2 tablespoons shredded ginger
* 1 bunch green onions, sliced on a bias angle
* 1 jalepeno pepper, sliced into rounds
* Serving suggestion: fresh lemon wedges
In a large wok, heat the oil over medium-high to 370 degrees F.
Meanwhile, season 2 cups of the flour with salt and freshly ground
black pepper. Dredge the shrimp in the seasoned flour.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the remaining 4 cups of flour with the
egg yolks and soda water. Hold the shrimp by their tails dip them into
Working in batches, fry the shrimp in the hot oil, turning them once,
until they are golden brown, about 3 minutes per batch. Remove the
shrimp from the oil and drain them on paper towels. While they are
still hot, sprinkle the shrimp generously with salt and freshly ground
black pepper. Transfer the shrimp to a serving tray.
When the shrimp are cooked, carefully pour off all but 1/2 cup of the
oil. Add the garlic, ginger, green onions and jalapeno and fry until
crispy. Spoon the seasoning over the shrimp and serve immediately.